Cantone Community Weekly News
January 9, 2017
This week’s assignments (Due Tuesday, January 17):
- Cursive “f” and “b” - remember to trace a letter and then write a letter.
- Read for 15 minutes or more every day, including Saturday and Sunday, and record what you read and for how long you read on your Reading Log.
- Play outside, Eat dinner together and have a conversation, Read together.
- We do not have school next Monday in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. This week we will read about King’s life, listen to and see portions of his famous “I Have a Dream” speech, and write how we can help the world/community be a peaceful place. Ask your child how he/she will promote peace.
- In math, the children will learn to tell time to the nearest minute and to plot time on a number line and use the number line to solve problems by counting backward and forward. Please continue to have your child practice telling time on an analog clock. Parent guides are included for the lessons we will do this week.
- Although we completed a unit on multiplication and division, students are still expected to continue practicing the basic multiplication facts so they know them automatically. Today I sent home math facts cards on a ring so your child can practice multiplication facts. Have your child choose two or three facts a week and commit them to memory. You can practice these facts anywhere and make a game of it.
- Merry-Go-Round Playhouse actors will be in our classrooms tomorrow teaching the children about Stories in Motion. The skills the actors will focus on are communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. The children will learn that stories, in all forms, communicate ideas and feelings. Ask your child to tell you about this visit.
- Please turn in the form for ordering our class book. You should have received information about purchasing a copy for your child. If you do not want to purchase a copy, please send in the order form indicating you do not want a book anyway. If I receive all order forms, even those marked “no,” we will receive a free class copy of the book. Let me know if you need a new order form.
- Please remember to send your child to school with snow pants and boots everyday so he/she can participate fully in outdoor activities and stay warm from the cold weather.