Cantone Community Weekly News
November 7, 2016
This week’s assignments (Due Monday, November 14):
- Cursive “n” and “m” - remember to trace a letter and then write a letter.
- Read for 15 minutes or more every day, including Saturday and Sunday, and record what you read and for how long you read on your Reading Log.
- Play outside, Eat dinner together and have a conversation, Read together
- Wednesday is Math and Movement Family Fun Night from 6:00-7:30 at the elementary school. There will be lots of fun, energetic activities that boost math and literacy skills. Please make every effort to be here. Elementary teachers have volunteered their time to make this event possible and your child will participate in math and reading activities that will make learning fun. You will also learn some ways to help your child at home.
- Your child received the book, Whose Tracks Are These?, from Family Reading Partnership. This is the featured book at the annual Kids’ Book Fest which is next Saturday, November 12, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm at Boynton Middle School in Ithaca. You received information about this festival on Friday with the book that went home. This is a free event with lots of activities for children focused around nature. I hope you are able to take your child to this FREE, fun festival. It ties in well with the Animal Classification Unit we are starting this week.
- In math, we are beginning Topic E - Multiplication and Division Using Units of 4. The children are practicing making tape diagrams and using them to skip count by fours to build fluency with multiplication facts. It is important that the children memorize the multiplication facts so when they get to fourth grade they have automaticity with those facts to solve more complicated problems. We are practicing 4 x 3 and 6 x 3 at school this week. You can practice those two facts at home too so your child is able to memorize them. We will also be practicing the commutative property so your child should also memorize 3 x 4 and 3 x 6.
- In science, Skills and Listening and Learning we are beginning a unit on Animal Classification.
- We have an opportunity to get free books for our classroom by collecting UPC labels from SunnyD and Fruit2O products. If you use these products, please send in your labels. We need 20 labels before November 30 to get 20 books. See the attached flyer.