September 26, 2016
This week’s assignments (Due Monday, October 3):
- Cursive “u” and “w” - remember to trace a letter and then write a letter.
- Read for 15 minutes or more every day, including Saturday and Sunday, and record what you read and for how long you read on your Reading Log.
- Play outside
- Eat dinner together and have a conversation
- Read together
- In math, the children are learning to make an array and write a multiplication equation to describe the array. The first number in the multiplication equation represents the number of rows. The second number represents how many objects are in each row. A math quiz on Lessons 1-3 will be given later this week. Math Vocabulary: array - objects arranged in rows and columns; rows – objects arranged left to right; columns - objects arranged top to bottom; product- the answer to a multiplication equation.
- Every Monday morning the children write “Weekend News.” They write about one thing they did over the weekend and use lots of details in their writing. Some weekends are uneventful, so I encourage them to choose anything they did, such as helping to set the table, or playing with a sibling. You can help your child, by discussing the things you did over the weekend. I keep all their Weekend News and return them at the end of the year. It is amazing to see how much their writing improves by the end of third grade.
- Open House is Wednesday, October 12, 6:00-7:30 pm. I am looking forward to meeting you and the children are excited to show you their classroom and what they do at school.
- In science the children learned how much of the water on Earth is freshwater compared to salt water. We will also do an experiment that demonstrates condensation. Ask your child to explain the experiment to you.
- A note went home today about how we as a third grade will be grading spelling. If you have any questions you can send me an email me or call me.
- You can stay in contact with me through the Remind App. I also have started a classroom Blog where I will post the Weekly News and pictures of some of the things we are doing in class. You can see the blog at http://mrscantone.blogspot.com/.